We are being told that Swine Flu is expected to increase dramatically this fall & it will be confusing to know if you have the regular flu or Swine Flu, the N1H1 virus. In fact, just 8.28.09 the President’s Council of Advisors on Science & Technology predicted that nearly 2 million Americans could be hospitalized due to swine flu infections this winter. Up to 90,000 could die–this number is nearly triple the deaths that occur in a normal flu season.
190 American hospitals from all over the USA took a poll that was compiled by registered nurses in nine different states & recently released by the California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee.
The study found:
- Half the hospitals have seen infected patients. At 18 percent, RNs have been infected, nurses say.
- Nurses at 15 percent of hospitals report that they do not have access or only some have access to the appropriate N95 respirator masks, & at 19 percent of the hospitals all or some masks were not “fitted,” to ensure their effectiveness against the virus.
- Nurses at 26 percent of hospitals report that infected patients are not being properly isolated, in appropriately ventilated rooms, raising the possibility of the infection spreading to others in the facility. At nearly a third of the facilities, proper infection controls are not being followed.
- Nurses at fewer than half of facilities (49 percent) report that they have been adequately trained on H1N1 issues, including identification of infected patients, & procedures for caring for these patients.
So, if you are a patient, look out! The sad thing is that you have more control over not contracting it “out in the world” than by avoiding it at a health care facility.
Is there a doctor in the house that can give some tips about avoiding swine flu if you have a chronic illness & spend countless hours in waiting rooms, hospitals, etc.”
Related articles by Zemanta
- Swine Flu Death Projections: How Reliable? (wellness.blogs.time.com)
- WH Warns Massive Swine Flu Spread (abcnews.go.com)