How Do You Find True Strength When Illness Makes You Weak?

strength1 How Do You Find True Strength When Illness Makes You Weak?When your illness weakens who you think you are, where do you find strength again? Our newest devotional writer, Cynthia, shares.

“Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength” (Isaiah 40:30-31).

Are we putting one-hundred percent of our hope in what the Lord says? Or what the doctor says? Are we finding our strength in a finished to-do list? Or do we appreciate the small victories? The Lord is proud of us for seeking Him and spending time with Him today.

I am 23 years old and continue to battle chronic pain. I have persevered through chronic pain for over six years. I remember lying on the floor with an inability to stand on many occasions. I know what it’s like to feel misunderstood in a body depleted by aches and pains.

I used to dance ballet, modern, jazz, and hip hop for five years. I danced in pain and no one knew. After many chiropractic appointments and doctor visits, I prayed for the Lord to renew the strength in my body.

While I waited, the Lord renewed my testimony.

It is helpful to remember that when we are at our weakest, God still works mighty miracles through us. I may be physically weak but, I am spiritually strong. Consider the following verse:

“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day” (2 Corinthians 4:16).

Although I may not feel well, all is well with my soul. In fact, after six years, chronic health conditions make one more dependent on God.

As your dependency on God grows, so does your faith. As your faith grows, so does your strength.

Remain confident and realize that injury, pain, and hurt doesn’t necessarily make you weak. I challenge you to meditate on scriptures that focus on strength today. You may feel physically weak, but you can find your strength in Christ.

I may not be able to dance, but hope dances over me like a victory song. Don’t wait for your feelings to catch up with the Lord’s truth. Choose to believe in a Lord who will increase your power and strength.

Prayer: Lord, thank You for being my strength. My body may fail, but I am choosing to find hope in You instead of circumstances outside of my control. I trust You, thank You for being proud of me, and renewing my strength daily. Amen.

Welcome to our new writer!
Cynthia Giles is twenty-four years old and attends a university in Kennesaw, Georgia. Cynthia’s chronic pain has lasted for over six years. Her pain is the result of a car wreck and other circumstances. Cynthia thinks it’s important to give a voice to young people who deal with chronic pain and other health issues. She hopes that her writing becomes a light in a dark place for those in need of hope or healing. Cynthia is also a spoken word artist, public speaker, and enjoys writing in various styles. You can connect with her and learn about her website on Facebook at facebook.com/cynthia.spokenwordartist.

What stories and people in the Bible come to mind when you think of God renewing strength? What stories in your own life, or the life of others, remind you that God can restore our strength and hope?

This song, “One Life” by Press Play speaks of the face that we only get one life (here on earth!) and we need to do what we can to glorify God in it, regardless of our circumstances. When I see young women like Cynthia who has many reasons to be bitter about losing her ability to dance, and yet she is writing devotionals about it, I am reminded that I will be held accountable for how I used my illness. Because it is part of my life, and God wants all of me. I hope it blesses you! -Lisa

Here is What Our Readers Have Shared:

1. Welcome, Cynthia!! This is a beautiful devo, and I so needed to hear it today! 2 Corinthians 4:16 is my absolute favorite scripture, almost a mantra for me! Also love this line: Don’t wait for your feelings to catch up with the Lord’s truth. Choose to believe in a Lord who will increase your power and strength.
    How true!!! May God Bless you today! Heart Hugs, Shelly

2. Barbara Coleman says:

Thank you, Cynthia. I can’t wait to see you dance in heaven!!

3. Welcome, Cynthia.
    Thanks for this beautifully written devotional.
    “Hope dances over me like a victory song”: what an awesome word picture!

I love the Isaiah 40:30-31passage. The New King James Version has additional meaning to me: The first part of verse 31 states, “But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles …”

Eagles wait for an air current, step off their high perch, and soar without flapping. If we wait on the Lord for His perfect timing, we’ll soar and not flap in our own strength. I’m learning to yield to His perfect timing to see what He has planned for my life (rather than flapping in my own strength to make something happen that my body can no longer do).

The other verse you included (2 Corinthians 4:16) means more to me each day. The older I get the more it becomes my mantra: “Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.”

Outside reveals growing evidence of my old age. Inside lives a spry Christian!

Grace and peace,

Vicki

4. Jennie Boyer says:

This devotion was perfect for me today. I had surgery last week and I am feeling very weak. It always amazes me how God works in these emotions, it’s always just what I need to hear! God bless!

5. Diane Kalata says:

Cynthia, what a beautiful devotional such depth and encouragement. I loved how you said “I prayed for the Lord to renew the strength in my body. While I waited the Lord renewed my testimony”. To me the key words here are prayed and waited. Two things we don’t often choose to put tovether. Often we pray expecting immediate results, waiting is hard especially when we are ill and in pain. But you allowed God to use that time to “renew your testimony”. What an amazing example of faith in action. Thank you for sharing. I’m so happy you have joined the writer group, what a blessing. Welcome!!! Blessings to you Diane

6. I am so happy God spoke to you through my devotional today! Yes, that line about our feelings is a tough one. It’s so easy to let feelings get in the way of what God wants to speak to us..especially negative feelings. I guess that’s what faith is though, seeing the unseen.. believing in spite of the circumstance. God bless you as well! :)

7. Aww, thanks… :) I’m sure angels can belt out some way better music lol haha :p

8. I love what you wrote here. I like to hear people talk about Gods timing. Sometimes, waiting is the hardest part! It’s human nature to just want to know the answers right away but Gods ways definitely aren’t ours. For me, I try to pray that God will strengthen my trust in him. I sort of think if I can get to a point where I trust God with my life, no matter what comes my way, it’ll be easier to wait on his timing. It’s a humbling thing too, to wait on Gods perfect timing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that! And yes, whats inside of all of us is so beautiful— “Man looks at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart” I think God sees whats inside of us and treasures it because he knows that the body is temporary but who we are is eternal.. it’s a beautiful thing! :)

9. God Bless you too! I’m glad God can work in your life, even when you least expect it! It’s a sign that God is a God of details… thats why I think he desires for us to cast our cares on him! He knows every detail of our life and will support and guide us through everything. I’m glad my devotional could post on a day you really needed it. :)

10. I’m glad I’ve joined the group as well! Thanks for the wonderful welcome! :) I think God is still in the process of renewing multiple testimonies every day. I try to have faith that God has a bigger plan for all of us. Even though healing might be our ultimate goal, God may use our need for healing to bring us closer to him. It’s hard to pray and wait but I struggle and try hard to wait with assurance that “God is able to do exceedingly, abundantly above all that I could dare to hope, think, or imagine, according to his power that is at work within me.” I think that like the scriptures say, waiting will make me more disciplined and reliant on God. God disciplines those he loves, even though discipline at the time is not something we necessarily look forward to, it will create a new thing for those of us who patiently endure it. Guess we have to run and finish this race of ours! :)

11. Lynn Severance says:

“I may not be able to dance, but hope dances over me like a victory song.”

Welcome, Cynthia!

Your words danced over me today bringing hope and encouragement. Thank you! Hugs of comfort! Lynn

12. Kerryn Wright says:

Oh Cynthia!! This devotional is beautiful & so special to me on so very many deep levels! THANK YOU!! It would take a novel to explain, but in a nutshell….

My middle son is the same age as you & became incredibly ill with CFS at the same age as you! (My heart goes out to you!! ♥)
    The verse you chose is his “life verse”….given to him years before illness hit & has remained an extremely important verse for him.

Your line: “While I waited, the Lord renewed my testimony.” This is exactly what is happening to my middle son & has a great PS…. that you’ll have to wait for in a yet to be written devotional!! Welcome to the RM writers team. You’re a blessing! ☺ Gentle hugs. God bless. Lotsoluv Kerryn

13. Ozzie Giles says:

What an awesome testimony! I am so encourage by your growth and your faith. I have watched you go through the struggles and arrive at a place of trust in God. I am grateful that you are using your life experiences to make a difference in the lives of others. My prayer Is that you will continue to yield to the Sprit. I am so excited about your future. God bless you my beautiful daughter! Love you!
    Ozzie Giles

14. Clarissa Giles says:

Thank you Cynthia, for contributing your light to this world and my life. It was encouraging to read your article. Thank you for opening up your heart and sharing how God is working in your life. You did a great job, and I look forward to reading many more articles, poems, etc. from you!

15. Clara Ramirez says:

God bless you, Cynthia. I hope you find alot of strength. I’m going to be praying for you so you can feel better. Your article was very touching.

16. VC Giles Music-Studio says:

Hello Cynthia,
    Thank you for your words of encouragement. “Do you find your hope in completing your to-do list or do you find hope and joy in the small things? I have meditated on this thought throughout the day. I do forget that “this is the day that the Lord has made and I will rejoice and be glad in it”. Sometimes I miss the blessings of my day; focused on what I may think as the bigger things and not enough on the smaller victories. Like, getting out of the bed this morning, or I getting out of bed this morning and not crawling back in 15 minutes late. Now that is surely a victory for me. Your entire message was inspiring. I love following your writings. Just so you know, your devotional made me cry and you are my very favorite spoken word artist of all times. You inspire me!
    MOM

17. Wow between your devotional and all the various comments, yours and everyone else’s, I was uplifted and gifted with some wonderful thoughts to meditate on and pray about! Thank you all.

Share Your Opinion or Experience!