…but you felt like your illness held you back?
There are days when we are able to see an alternative to our dreams & find another way to fulfill them, but sometimes our illness really does hold us back–either because of safety issues, health reasons, or maybe just because we allow ourselves to put those dreams aside.
Our founder, Lisa, has a great presentation on this called Chronic Illness & Our Hopes & Dreams: When to Keep ‘Em, When to Wean ‘Em if you are interested in pursing this topic.
Scripture tells us “Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails” (Proverbs 19:21). We al have plans. Illness is one way many of us have experienced how God weeds out the ones that are just “dreams” from those that are attached to His purpose.
And oftentimes, He does allow us to fulfill dreams – they just weren’t the ones we would have necessarily chosen if given a choice. (Our founder would not have chosen chronic illness ministry as her dream at the age of 23!)
We asked you… what have you always wanted to do but you felt like your illness held you back? Here are your responses. Be sure to add your own in the comments section below.
- I have always wanted to drive but that has never been possible because I have seizures. I also have fibromyalgia & arthritis. –Dottie
- I’ve always wanted to square dance. -Bob
- I’ve always wanted to go to Israel. –Kathleen
- I always wished I could work in women’s ministries as a Christian counselor or teacher. Twice I have returned to school just to have my health fail. I am 8 hours away from a degree in Christian Counseling, but I have no clue if I’ll be able to finish. -Kathy
- I’ve always wanted to do more for my church.. Actually because of my illnesses my Pastor doesn’t let me do all I would like to do. –Lee
- I’ve always wanted to work, babysit & do things with my Gr&children, walk on a beach without tear’s, help more in our Church without having to go to bed the next day . -Bonnie
I’ve always had a strong desire to be involved in Women’s ministry–whether a Bible study class or outreach; but now I can’t always depend on having the strength or energy to be “active.” I went to our Lord feeling depressed & disappointed & asked Him, “What can I do?” He gently reminded me that I can be active in a Card Outreach Ministry & so I am! Praise to our Lord, for HE always knows what we can do-all we need to do is LISTEN TO HIM! -Susan
- I’ve always wanted to continue hiking & working (as a dentist) but my illness has stopped me from doing these! Fortunately for me, prior to 4 years ago, my MS symptoms were invisible & I enjoyed these things! –Jane
- I’ve always wanted to leave the house alone, but my illness is holding me back. I have epilepsy & I’m terrified of having seizures on the street. –Violet
- I’ve always wanted to work or volunteer in a facility that has big cats,-a refuge or zoo. -Bethany
- I’ve always wanted to be a missionary in a 3rd world country. -Ingrid