If you live in the San Diego area you may be interested to know that Joni and Friends is putting together a satellite office. The first step is to gather together the people who would like to be involved.
Joni and Friends is the disability ministry of best-selling author Joni Eareckson Tada who was paralyzed following a diving accident in the 1970s.
Rest Ministries is an affiliate ministry of Joni and Friends and I (Lisa) have had the honor of speaking and exhibiting at various Joni and Friends events for years. It is an amazing ministry that has changed the lives of millions of people, from those in third world countries who have received a wheelchair through Joni’s Wheels of the World program, to the thousands of families who have attended family retreats all over the world.
What does a local office offer?
According to the Joni and Friends web site, local offices coordinate a number of outreaches, including:
1.Through the Roof: disability ministry training and support for churches.
2. Family Retreats: camp-style retreats for families that include a loved one with a disability.
3. Wheels for the World: mobilizing churches and volunteers to participate in international outreaches, delivering wheelchairs and the Gospel message.
4. Chair Corps: working with churches and individuals that volunteer to collect wheelchairs, walkers, and crutches, then deliver them for restoration and distribution through Wheels for the World.
5. Special Delivery: partnering with individuals, churches and other organizations to provide gift baskets and extend the love of Christ to those who live in rehabilitation or healthcare facilities.
6. Resource referrals: providing assistance and information to individuals and families affected by disability.
7. Community programs: support groups, disability ministry workshops, fun, fellowship and more.
If you live in San Diego county and would be interested in receiving more information on this opportunity, see this page at Joni and Friends which includes contact information.