Have you ever considered writing a letter to your fears? Dear Fear. . . it can help you understand what is really important and what you will let go of and give to God so your fears no longer control you.
By Melissa Svensen
We have known one another for a while now. You tell me lies all the time, yet I keep letting you back in my life. You overwhelm me with what ifs.
What if you don’t ever get well. . .
What if God does not want to heal you. . .
What if you never accomplish your dreams. . .
What if you never get to eat food that tastes good again. . .
What if you have to live in chronic pain for the rest of your life. . .
What if you can’t stick to the diet you need to follow to get well. . .
What if your kids get the same illness as you, or something much worse. . .
What if you can never feel intimacy with others because of your past abuse. . .
What if people do not recognize your worth. . .
What if your life really means nothing at all. . .
So Dear Fear, you see, I do not love you anymore. I must admit, I used you for quite some time. You protect me in a sick sort of way. I use you as my shield. I do not have to risk loving others or myself when you are with me. I can use you as my excuse. Even if all of those what ifs come to pass, what does that really mean?
It means this. . .
- I will never have a healthy body on this side of heaven, but one day will have a brand new body. . .
- God is using this illness to teach me invaluable lessons I will need on the other side. . .
- My dreams were never what God had intended for me in the first place. . .
- Food is for nourishment not pleasure, and Jesus will greet me with a huge heavenly hot fudge sundae for my perseverance. . .
- Daily pain forces me to remember this world is not home, and to not to be consumed by it. . .
- If God wants me well, He can do it with any diet. . .
- My kids have their own destinies on earth and all I can do is the best I can do. . .
- If I never feel the depth of intimacy on earth again, Heaven will make up for it. . .
- I know God recognizes me, even if others do not. . .
- If my life appears to mean nothing at all then so be it. I was given the opportunity to love and be loved. . .
So you see, Fear, there is nothing you can say to me that really means anything at all. Most of what you say may be lies, but even if there is some truth in them, it does not matter in the end.
God is all that really matters and His purposes will overcome you.
And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. (1 John 4:16)
When I allow you to live with me, I choose to deny God in me. You cannot have both fear and love indwelling in the same heart at the same time. I am kicking you out of my life and choosing love because it is only love that never fails. Everything else will cease, all else will fail me in the end.
Dear Fear, it’s been way too long. I should have said goodbye many years ago. I must tell you the hard truth and that truth is this: